A one-off Champions League quarter-final will assist relative newcomers RB Leipzig tackle Atletico Madrid, says supervisor Julian Nagelsmann.
The Bundesliga facet have by no means made the knockout stage earlier than and face an Atleti facet who’ve twice reached the ultimate within the final six years.
“They have a lot of experience over two legs, but anything can happen in just one game,” Nagelsmann mentioned.
“We will all be thrown into cold water, because of this situation.”
- Champions League quarter-finals: All it’s essential know
- Stories to look out for in latter levels in Lisbon
The winners of the quarter-final in Lisbon will face Paris St-Germain within the final 4.
Leipzig is not going to have Timo Werner out there after he signed for Chelsea for £54m.
Werner scored 34 targets in all competitions as Nagelsmann’s facet completed third within the Bundesliga.
“We don’t have Werner and I won’t say who will start,” mentioned Nagelsmann.
“But we have players who didn’t play when Werner was here who will now get their chance.”
Atletico coach Diego Simeone advised his facet to overlook the pre-lockdown win at Anfield that knocked out former champions Liverpool.
“A lot of months have passed, and all the excitement and turmoil that arose after the win over Liverpool has died down a bit because of the 100-plus days we’ve been in quarantine,” he mentioned.
“Then with La Liga all of it looks like far-off now. That win will stay a part of the historical past of Atletico Madrid. But now, a brand new journey begins.
“I’ll repeat: tomorrow it isn’t essential to win, it is the one factor that you are able to do. We’ll put together for the sport in that manner.”
Atletico ahead Angel Correa and defender Sime Vrsaljko examined optimistic for coronavirus earlier than Thursday’s sport.
The gamers are isolating at residence and can miss the remainder of the match.
The two optimistic circumstances had been found after gamers and workers travelling to Lisbon had been examined in Madrid on Saturday.
Players and workers have since been retested with all outcomes unfavorable.
Goals on the best way? The stats
- Atletico Madrid have at all times progressed in opposition to German opposition within the knockout levels of the Champions League (vs Leverkusen in 2014-15 and 2016-17; vs Bayern Munich in 2015-16). In the European Cup period (pre-1992-93), the one time they did not prevail was within the 1974 remaining in opposition to Bayern Munich (1-1; 0-Four replay).
- None of RB Leipzig’s 14 video games within the Champions League has resulted in a goalless draw. They’ve saved a clear sheet in three of their final 5 video games, after failing to maintain a single one in any of their earlier 9.
- Four of RB Leipzig’s final eight targets within the Champions League have come from the penalty spot. In truth, solely Atalanta (5) have benefitted from extra penalties than Leipzig (4) on this season’s competitors.
- No German facet outdoors of Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund has reached the semi-finals of the Champions League since Schalke in 2010-11.
- Atletico Madrid will try and turn into the primary group since Real Madrid in 2013-14 to each beat the Champions League holders and win the match in the identical season. They have additionally performed essentially the most Champions League/European Cup finals with out ever profitable one (three finals, Zero trophies).
- Since the beginning of 2019, 12 of Atletico Madrid’s 14 targets within the Champions League have been scored after half-time.
- 53% of Alvaro Morata’s targets within the Champions League have been scored within the knockout levels (eight out of 15). The Atletico Madrid striker’s eight targets within the knockout levels since 2013-14 is greater than every other Spanish participant over that interval.
- Emil Forsberg has scored 4 of RB Leipzig’s final eight Champions League targets. All 4 targets have come within the opening or closing 10 minutes of the match.